Leadership is vitally to colleges and universities, but leadership does not occur in a vacuum. Campus leaders and administrators make decisions based on a set of parameters including (but not limited to) the institutional mission, resources available, student and faculty needs.
Assignment #1: Contextualizing the institution’s response.
Write a 5 page, double-spaced paper that describes Central Michigan University’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic for the 2020-2021 school year and then situate the administrative decision making in context.
To describe the response, you might want to address the following (note: the situation may be evolving, try to be as up to date as possible but we all know that things are moving fast):
- Is the campus holding in-person, remote, or mixed modes of course delivery?
- Is non-instructional campus work happening primarily in-person or remotely?
- How has course delivery changed from previous semesters?
- Has the institution introduced accommodations, planning, supports to aid students, faculty, and staff?
To situate the context of decision making, you might want to address the following:
- How the institution’s Carnegie classification (and the mission it represents) might have influenced its deliberations and response.
- How the response reflects (or does not reflect) the intuition’s location, size, and level of complexity.
- How the response reflects (or does not reflect) the intuition’s students, including demographic characteristics, whether most students are full-time and residential or part-time and commuters, and the mix majors and undergraduate and graduate students.
- How do you think the administration took these and other factors into consideration?