History of Pandemic Diseases in the Middle East and Asia
Choose a specific historical epidemic disease* impacting a specific region within Asia or the Middle East & answer ONE of the following questions: CHOOSE ONE!
– Question 1: Was the disease Zoonotic? If so, how was it transmitted from animals to humans? Were people at the time aware of this transmission? How did this impact the relationship between humans and these non-human species?
– Question 2: How was human movement involved in or impacted by this disease’s spread or control? If you focus on the control of the disease, did this involve the control of people’s mobility?
– Question 3: How did this disease affect people’s relationship with “outsiders” and “foreigners”? <link is hidden> did it lead to an increase in xenophobia, right-wing violence, or cultural nationalism?
Assignment guidelines: IMPORTANT
-The draft should be at LEAST 4 pages in length, make it longer if you can!
The text you turn in should manifest the following features:
– A solid introduction
– A clear and compelling thesis
– A carefully constructed argument
– A clear structure (perhaps with an outline not included in the 4-pages)
– Evidence of significant research
– Footnotes that adhere to the Chicago Manual of Style
– Polished prose and well-crafted sentences
– No typos and/or grammatical errors.
– A bibliography with at least 6 sources (3 primary, 3 scholarly secondary books/articles)
– The bibliography does not count towards the length requirement & should be on page 5.
*Please note: For the purposes of this assignment, ‘a specific historical epidemic disease’ refers to any epidemic disease besides COVID19, and which dates to any year prior to 1999.*
IMPORTANT NOTE FROM THE CUSTOMER:
I would pick the Black Plague since there is most likely the most written about that one due to how many lives it took. If you feel that you can find a better plague that affected the Middle East and or Asia with better sources go ahead. I would personally choose the third question to write about, on how the disease affected the view of outsiders (How did this disease affect people’s relationship with “outsiders” and “foreigners”? <link is hidden> did it lead to an increase in xenophobia, right-wing violence, or cultural nationalism?). But pick whatever question you feel you can best write about and cite correctly. Please cite 6 or more scholarly sources that are relevant to the topic.