Select a public health policy issue from the list of topics and websites included in this week’s Readings (see the Assignments page). Use the Internet Tools to analyze a proposed or current piece of legislation and use the following guidelines to organize your analysis.
Guidelines: Analyzing a Public Health Policy
Identify the state or federal legislative body and the number, descriptive title, and date of the bill (e.g. 97TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY State of Illinois 2011 and 2012 �Distracted Driving� SB3537 Introduced 2/8/2012, by Sen. John J. Millner.)
1. What is the health problem being addressed?
2. What is the underlying biological process of the health problem?
3. What makes this health problem a �public health problem�?
4. What is the prevalence of the public health problem?
5. What is the incidence of the public health problem?
6. What is the economic burden of the public health problem?
7. What are the ethical issues related to the public health problem?
8. Are there any issues of health disparities among population groups related to the public health problem?
9. What policies have been or are enacted currently to address the public health problem?
10. How would the new policy improve the current situation?
11. What are the cost issues in implementing the new policy?
12. What are the legal issues in implementing the new policy?
13. What are the political issues in implementing the new policy?
14. What are the health disparity issues in implementing the new policy?
15. What are the expected health outcomes from the new policy?
16. Would you vote to enact the new policy? Why or why not?
This week, you are expected to review each of the following websites or resources in detail. Sites are arranged by topic below, followed by general resources:
Regulating Tobacco Products Based on Pack Size.
Finding Space to Play.
Retrieved from: http://www.publichealthlawcenter.org/sites/default/files/resources/PHLC_Finding%20Space%20to%20Play_2012.pdf
Halting the Obesity Epidemic: A Public Health Policy Approach
Community Gardens: Model Resolution Language
Rental Assistance and Voucher Programs for Tenants
Court-Mandated Interventions for Individuals Convicted of Domestic Violence
-Retrieved from: http://publichealthlawresearch.org/public-health-topics/violence-prevention/evidence-brief/court-manaded-interventions-individuals-con
-New Public Health blog- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: http://www.rwjf.org/en/blogs/new-public-health.html
-Illinois General Assembly – Legislation: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/
(Note: this link is specific to the Illinois; you may use another state website for this week�s assignment.)
Your paper should be typed, five pages in length, and follow the APA Style which includes using a cover page, abstract page, one inch margins, double spacing, 12 inch Times New Roman font with a reference page as needed.