1. Apply principles of cultural safety and reflect on self to articulate the role of self in person-centred mental health care and therapeutic use of self.
2. Demonstrate and apply knowledge of the challenges and factors that can compromise mental health for ourselves and others in order to promote positive mental health and wellbeing.
3. Conduct a biopsychosocial and mental status assessment to create a clinical formulation, informed by the recovery model, to enhance the provision of consumer focused care.
4. Describe key mental health issues and work with consumers and carers to address needs and promote recovery across the care continuum applying the Recovery Model.
5. Explain and apply knowledge of the Mental Health Act and mental health standards for practice
Length: 1,800 words
Estimated time to complete task: 30 hours
Aim The aim of this assignment is to help you to begin to use your professional and clinical judgement and to think like nurses working in mental health settings and/or in relation to the mental health needs of people regardless of the setting. In order to achieve this aim, everyone will be assigned a case scenario involving a person who is experiencing difficulties relating to one of the various disorders commonly encountered in clinical practice.
This is an individual assignment of 1,800 words in two parts, each with several steps. Follow the steps for each part carefully. Your assignment will demonstrate a sound grasp of the following as they relate to the person in your case scenario and include:
a Mental Status Examination(MSE)
a clinical formulation including biopsychosocial history and your own MSE observations leading to the clinical formulation
a nursing orientated handover
use of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs to identity and prioritise the person’s needs
recognising and responding to the mental health needs of the identified person by identifying best practice nursing interventions
how to engage a person in a therapeutic relationship
the application of cultural safety
the application of the recovery model/philosophy
NSB204 Mental Health:
Self and others Bachelor of Nursing You will need to justify your ideas with reference to relevant literature. Students who plan to do well in this assignment, will read and use the unit’s required readings as well as additional items drawn from respected academic sources. What you need to do: Please follow the steps outlined below to answer this assignment question.
PART 1 Holistic assessment and planning: (1000 words +/- 10%)
This part does not always require full paragraphs. Use appropriate templates/tables to set out the MSE and 5Ps.
1.1 Introduction [150 words +/- 10%] The introduction should briefly introduce the person set out in the case study materials. Following this, provide a synopsis of what you have written in your assignment. An introduction is not an outline of the assignment question. The Introduction needs to provide a brief story to the reader (your tutor) about the key points covered in your assignment.
1.2 The Mental Status Examination [250 words +/- 10%]
• Provide a brief preamble about the importance of comprehensive assessment to mental health nursing care
• using the MSE format in your weekly tutorial guide provide a complete Mental Status Examination (MSE) of the person
• use specific examples from the case study materials to illustrate each part of the MSE
• you must use and define psychiatric terms accurately (e.g. Instead of “talks fast”, use the correct term “pressure of speech“, define it properly and cite your sources)
1.3 Clinical Formulation Table [200 words +/- 10%]
• use information gathered from the MSE and the biopsychosocial assessment (history of presenting complaint, family and social history, current living situation, the person’s strengths and coping strategies, medical history) to complete a table under the headings of presenting, precipitating, predisposing, perpetuating and protective factors (5Ps) relevant to the clinical presentation of the person described in your case study.
1.4 Plan for Nursing Care [250 words +/- 10%]
1. • using Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, identify the nursing NSB204 Mental Health: Self and others Bachelor of Nursing care needs of the person.
2. • identify the two (2) highest priority nursing care needs for the person and clearly indicate why they are the highest priority.
3. • outline your nursing care, focusing on one (1) nursing intervention for each of these needs and your rationale for each. That is, describe how the intervention assists the person to address or meet each need. Interventions must be nursing related, detailed, practical and within your scope of practice. Use relevant literature to support your chosen interventions.
4. ** NOTE: in part two you will be explaining how you would develop and use a therapeutic relationship with this person, and how cultural safety and the recovery model influenced your nursing care and choice of interventions
1.5 Clinical handover [150 words +/- 10%]
Synthesise (consider together) the results of your MSE and clinical formulation to construct a paragraph describing the person and their main concerns that you could present at a clinical handover meeting. Note: This is not merely a repetition of the case study material – it is an analysis and synthesis of the material and the MSE to produce the clinical formulation that answers ‘why this person, why now, why with this presenting situation’. This is the information your colleagues need to know so they can continue working with the person when you go home. Remember to keep a nursing focus.
PART 2: Therapeutic engagement and clinical interpretation: (800 words +/- 10%)
5. This part of the paper is to be written in properly constructed sentences and paragraphs under each subheading (not dot points) and is to provide further description and depth to the assessment and care planning identified in Part 1.
2.1 The Therapeutic Relationship [250 words +/- 10%]
6. Explain how and why a therapeutic relationship will be established with the person in your care. This must not be a general description of therapeutic relationships but demonstrate that you are applying therapeutic skills to this person. Then describe at least one (1) specific strategy appropriate for the development of a therapeutic relationship with this specific person and how it was NSB204 Mental Health: Self and others Bachelor of Nursing applied in the nursing care interventions you described in Step 1.
7. 2.2 Cultural Safety [200 words]
8. Describe the first step you would take to ensure that you deliver culturally safe care to this person.
9. Then identify and describe one (1) issue that working with this person might present for you. Describe which of the principles of cultural safety you used in applying cultural safety in the nursing care interventions you described in Step 1.
10. 2.3 Recovery-oriented Nursing Care [350 words] Consider the nursing interventions you developed in Step 1. Describe how these nursing interventions take the principles of the Recovery Model/Philosophy into account and relate these to your specific person’s recovery process. Conclusion There is no requirement for a conclusion for this assignment.