Nurse Theorist Guidelines: Paper and Presentation
• This 8 page paper and presentation assignment is designed for the RN student to explore the theory/conceptual model of a recognized nursing theorist.
• The assignment will serve to provide experience with professional writing, values clarification, oral communication, informatics, critical thinking and understanding context.
• What is this paper about?
• What will the paper accomplish?
• Share your thinking about why you selected this theorist to investigate.
• Why is this topic important?
• Must have Thesis statement (last sentence of introduction).
• 1-2 paragraphs.
• Write in the 3rd person.
Biography of Theorist
• This is a brief description of the theorist’s biography and career.
• Include identified influences on why the theory was developed or other connections to the theory.
• **What was the historical, economic and sociopolitical environment at the time?
• 2-3 paragraphs.
• Write in the 3rd person, and be sure to cite your sources.
Analysis of the Theory
• Describe in your own words (paraphrase) your understanding of the theorist’s work.
• Select 1 main idea of the theory to describe and discuss.
• Identify how each of the 4 metaparadigm concepts (person, health, environment, and nursing) is viewed. 1 ½ -2 pages
• Write in the 3rd person. Be sure to cite your sources.
Application to Nursing Care
• Using an example from the literature (nursing journal) summarize how this theory is being used to guide the delivery of nursing care.
• Write in the 3rd person. 1-2 pages.
• How would you put into action the concepts of this theorist’s work?
• Connect the theory concepts to your thoughts and actions in a personal story from your practice to show application of the theory.
• Use a story that shows you using the theory or look back and think about how you might have cared for a patient differently using the theory.
• 2-3 pages. For this section, you may write in the 1st person.
• Your reflection on the content and reaction to what you learned.
• What does learning about theory mean to you now?
• Why is what you have learned important for nursing?
• What if anything, do you value about this theory?
• Why or why not?
• Why should nurses as a profession care about this topic?
• 1-2 paragraphs.
• May write in the first person.
Writing style, originality of writing, grammar, spelling
• Correct use of Standard English grammar, spelling and paraphrasing.
• Clear, concise and readable writing style.
• Writing is original and is paraphrased appropriately.
• Paragraphs have topic sentences and are fully developed.
• Typed, 8 page minimum does not include title and reference pages.
• Submitted to Safe Assign and final copy Safe Assign report attached.
APA format – 7th edition
• Correct title page, format, page numbers, margins, correct font, headings, etc.
• Correct APA citations for references in text
• References: At least 6 or more
Use articles found through CINAHL searches, including articles found using the FIND IT button.
Do not use articles found on other websites.
Two resources, either article or book/chapter, must be written by the theorist herself. Video interviews with the theorist also count here.
All other articles must be from reputable US nursing journals.
Must have at least one journal article where RN is the author.
Use Hood book. This book is great to use to explain about the Metaparadigm.
Use at least one Nurse Theorist book (e.g. Masters/2015 Book – available on library reserve; or Alligood & Tomey/2013 available online through the library resource guide).
• Reference page in correct APA format.
• Headings in APA format: all major headings (as noted in paper guideline) start at first level. Thereafter, second and third level headings used appropriately to organize the paper.
• Do not write an abstract.
• Strongly suggest booking a Writing Center appointment to review your final draft of your paper, you should plan on at least one hour.